Sunday, May 27, 2007

The 4 Horsemen

Aaaaaand.... we have a title. And a story no less. I'm quite proud. Draft? Draft you say? I'm workin' on it Mr./Mrs. Hurry pants! It takes time to hone such genius... of course I've heard it takes time to hone anything... even the ability to eat cereal can sometimes require days - nay - MONTHS to achieve some sort of mastery.

But, I digress... quickly. The script is coming along. My problem (as is the norm) is that I always have difficulty with the first 10 pages. Act One is always a chore, while Acts Two and Three come much more easily. In this case I've practically written the last two acts and am now just struggling with the first. I think I feel the most amount of pressure surrounding these first few pages as the audience is either going to be drawn in or walk out in those first few moments of the movie.

Of course, being afraid of those first few pages leaves open the room to be a procrastinator... as I always have been. If I can just obsess about an action line here or there... if I can pull my hair out over whether or not a "cut" is the right way to handle this transition (perhaps a dissolve is better?)... if I can bang my head against the wall over dialog like "hembras loca, me have tieso." Then I can actually prevent myself of getting a WHOLE lot of work done.

But enough of that junk, let's get to the nitty gritty (a phrase I absolutely hate, but find myself using numerous times throughout the day. What's it about? That's a good question. Plot wise it's about a gang of outlaws in 1895. They take on the personas of the Mythic Four Horsemen from the Bible. Pestilence, War, Famine, and Death. Together, they lead a gang called "The Horde" and cut a swath through the west. On the run, the four reach a small, isolated town in Montana and quickly ravage it. In the middle of the night, Famine (the leader) is attacked by a townsperson. The townsperson fails in his mission to kill Famine, but gets off a lucky shot from his revolver. It strikes Famine in the head... but doesn't kill him, rather induces amnesia.

This is the "inciting incident" if you will. How do the other 3 horsemen react to this? What does Famine make of his disturbing life? All questions that I try to answer. Sssssssslowly... but only in 30 pages... fun yay!

Anywho, enough with this pesky procrastination and onward to the writing thing.

Cherios... wait... Corn Flakes?

No comments: